As the world’s most popular annual Bible commentary for more than two decades, the Standard Lesson Commentary (SLC) provides fifty-three weeks of study in a single volume and combines thorough Bible study with relevant examples and questions.
Key features include:
- Printed Scripture
- Verse-by-verse explanation of the Bible text
- Detailed lesson background
- Pronunciation guide for difficult words
- Discussion starters
- A review quiz for each quarter
The SLC, available in the King James Version and New International Version Bible translations, is based on the popular Uniform Series, also called the International Sunday School Lessons (ISSL). This series, developed by scholars from numerous church fellowships, outlines an in-depth study of the Bible over a six-year period.
The four main themes of the 2019-2020 study are:
- Responding to God’s Grace—Pentateuch, 1 Samuel, 1 Kings, Luke, Epistles
- Honoring God—1 Kings, 1 Chronicles, Matthew, Luke
- Justice and the Prophets—Esther, Prophets, 1 Corinthians
- Many Faces of Wisdom—Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Gospels, James
SLC is perfect as the primary resource for an adult Sunday school class, personal study, or as a supplemental resource for any curriculum that follows the ISSL/Uniform Series. Nearly two dozen ministers, teachers, and Christian education specialists contribute their expertise to SLC, making it the most popular annual Bible commentary available.